The Summit is no typical city-owned senior center. Opened in June 2010, the $23 million dollar facility offers 60,000 square feet specifically designed for active adults ages 50 and older.
Operated by the Grand Prairie (Texas) Parks and Recreation
Department it features state-of-the-art fitness, a gym, aerobics
room, indoor track, game room, theater, a luxurious dining room and
ballrooms overlooking the lakes. Aquatic amenities include a
natatorium featuring an indoor infinity edge pool with lap lanes,
an exercise vortex, and a 250 square-foot whirlpool spa.
The 3,500 sq. ft. recreation pool is used for recreation swimming,
lap swimming, and therapeutic classes. After a rigorous swim, fun
in the pool, or a good physical workout, the whirlpool spa is a
therapeutic sanctuary for rejuvenating muscles and relaxation.
Another hit with the seniors is the cyclonic vortex, offering an
experience like no other, inviting guests to step inside its cozy
space of swirling water jets for exercise and socialization.
Counsilman-Hunsaker provided a Launch Operations Training session,
consisting of a water chemistry workshop in relation to the pool
systems. Along with The Summit staff, aquatic staff members from
other Grand Prairie aquatic facilities also participated in the
With continued success, The Summit just might change the way cities
nationwide view gathering places for aging baby boomers who want to
remain physically fit and socially active.
NUTS & BOLTS
Cost: $23 million
Aquatic space: 7,000 square feet
Dream amenities: An infinity-edge pool with lap lanes, an
exercise vortex, a whirlpool, and a spa.
- Dream Designer: Brinkley Sargent Architects
- Architect: Brinkley Sargent Architects
- Aquatic Designer: Counsilman-Hunsaker
- Structural Engineer: Structural Engenuity
- MEP Engineer: M-E Engineers
- Construction Manager: Manhattan Construction
- Pool Contractor: Acapulco Pools
- Astral Pool: Filters, UV equipment
- Aqua Products: Cleaners / vacuums
- Canada Pool: Lane markers
- Chemtrol: Chemical control systems
- ChlorKing: Saline chlorination system
- daltile: Tile
- Danfoss Drive Co.: Variable-frequency drives
- Griswold Pump Co. / Pentair Water Commercial Pool and Aquatics: Pumps
- Insight Lighting: Lighting
- Lawson Aquatics: Gutters
- North Texas Bomanite: Flooring
- Northern Stainless: Grab Bars
- Pool Pak: Dehumidifiers
- Scranton Products: Lockers