Aquatic vistas are the crown jewel of many urban high-rise hotels, but none offer an experience quite like the Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis. Inspired by the 19-story hotel itself, the design team created a dynamic rooftop pool terrace and a day spa environment focused on hydrotherapy.
Both spaces utilize natural light and color, and feature multiple bodies of water — all with unique, forward-thinking design aspects, including a number of green building measures.
On the rooftop pool terrace, the design team combined the elements of water and fire to create an aquatic space as awe-inspiring as the majestic cityscape views.
At the center of the deck is a reflecting pool finished in garnet red, glass mosaic tile, with a raised 4-inch black granite infinity edge. Positioned to mirror the St. Louis Gateway Arch, the fountain’s attached whirlpool spa is separated by a glass partition and flanked by raised water bowl fountains that cascade into the spa.
Beyond the reflection fountain is the 1,624-square-foot, outdoor, heated lap pool, which features Italian glass tile and a grand-stair entrance crafted to accommodate a state-of-the-art automated pool cover. A 41-square-foot fountain placed in a central seating area has the same tile work. The fountain features a 360-degree infinity edge base topped with a “fire bowl.”
Located off to the side is an 850-square-foot deck fountain. Designed for splashing, the fountain includes a series of spray jets highlighted at night with color-changing lights computer-programmed to produce a multitude of facilitated sequences.
Downstairs on the seventh floor, the aquatic elements in the indoor day spa are combined with a neutral color scheme and nature-inspired materials to evoke feelings of peace and serenity.
The day spa facility includes separate men’s and women’s areas, each with a whirlpool spa fashioned with cream-colored tiles, matching pebble finish and a soothing, sheer waterfall feature.
Rounding out the day spa is a 112-square-foot, mixed-gender relaxation pool situated beside glass windows that offer sweeping city views. An elegant reflection fountain featuring a cascading water curtain provides an additional focal point. Made of marble and tile, the fountain provides a continuous sound of falling water, creating a mellow, tranquil space.
The spa and rooftop aquatic amenities were created with safety and sustainability in mind. The Terrace deck fountain, reflection pool, whirlpool and fire fountain all include space-saving FRP surge tanks, which create a closed system that reduces heating and chemical expenses. The day spa amenities are equipped with on-site chlorine generation. The technology is salt-based, so there’s no need for a specially outfitted chemical storage space and no risk in transporting a supply through public spaces.
Other green, cost-saving measures include LED lights and variable-frequency drives on the pumps, pool cover and splash fountain systems.
All told, the liquid escapes at the Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis have helped make the property a premier urban resort experience.
NUTS & BOLTS
Aquatic space: 3,600 square feet
Year opened: 2008
Cost: $1.8 million
Dream feature: Rooftop pool area featuring a lap pool, hot tub and splash fountain
- Dream Designer: Counsilman-Hunsaker
- Acoustical Consultant: Swallow Acoustic Consultants Ltd.
- General Contractor: McCarthy Building Cos. Inc.
- Interior Design: Marnell Corrao Associates
- Landscape Designer: Lifescapes International Inc.
- Lighting Designer: Randy Burkett Lighting Design
- MEP: CHPA Consulting Engineers Inc.
- Chemical Control Systems: Santa Barbara Control Systems
- Cleaner Vacuums (for terrace pool):Spectrum Products
- Fire Fountain Components: Grand Effects
- Glass Wall Feature (terrace whirlpool):Reynolds Polymer Technology
- Handicapped Equipment (for terrace pool):RehaMed International
- Ladders/Grab Bars: Spectrum Products
- Lighting: Pentair Pool Products
- Pumps and Filter: Pentair Pool Products
- Sanitization Systems: BioLab Inc.
- Terrace Deck Splash Fountain Accessories/Lighting: Crystal Fountains
- Terrace Lap Pool Cover System: Aquamatic Cover Systems
View Four Seasons Hotel in a larger map.