A business executive who managed a Best Western in North Carolina has been indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter.

According to The Herald, a grand jury returned the three counts against Damon Mallatere, president of Appalachian Hospitality Management, for involuntary manslaughter in the deaths last year of three hotel guests poisoned by carbon monoxide.

The jury also indicted Mallatere on one additional count of assault inflicting serious bodily injury on another hotel guest who was poisoned but survived.

Investigators determined that carbon monoxide from the swimming pool water heater entered through a corroded exhaust pipe into the room, killing Daryl and Shirley Jenkins of Washington state in April and 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill in June. Jeffrey’s mother, Jeannie, suffered serious injuries. Read More