Several serious accidents involving chlorine hit public
pools this swim season. In El Paso, Texas, firefighters
evacuated the Northeast YMCA after the pool’s
chlorine generator overproduced. Six people were sent to
hospitals and hazmat crews cleaned the facility.
Thirteen swimmers at a Jaworzno, Poland pool were
hospitalized and 180 others evacuated after
chlorine levels in the water skyrocketed. Twelve of those
taken to hospitals were children.
A Maryland man and woman were injured trying to open a
public pool when chlorine mixed with another chemical to
create a toxic cloud. The reaction also caused a fire.
Michigan’s White Lake mobile home park saw nine
residents injured after an explosion involving chlorine
occurred in the pool area. The operator had used a
different type of chlorine than usual and evacuated the
pool when he noticed the water was cloudy. The damage was
confined to a chlorine cylinder, but gas was released into