With the opening of the Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center last year, University of Tennessee, Knoxville swimmers and divers have the luxury of training at one of the few universities in the nation with three full-size 50-meter pools within 200 feet of each other.
The AJIAC was a joint effort of the Men’s and
Women’s Athletics Departments. Named in honor of Allan Jones,
who made a $4 million challenge gift as a part of Tennessee’s
STEP UP Capital Campaign for athletic facilities, the $23.8 million
center offers one of the nation’s finest indoor aquatic
facilities for the university’s swimming and diving
The new 72,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art indoor swimming and
diving facility complements the existing Student Aquatic Center,
located adjacent to the AJIAC. The SAC features two Olympic-size
swimming pools: an indoor pool, including a separate diving well
with four 1-meter and 3-meter springboards and a 10-meter platform,
and an outdoor pool featuring 5, 7½, and 10-meter platforms as
well as two 1-meter and two 3-meter springboards.
The AJIAC is highlighted by an eight lane, 50-meter by 25-yard
competition pool and a separate diving well with a diving tower
with 1, 3, 5, 7½, and 10-meter platforms. Featuring a depth of
10 feet from end to end, the competition pool is considered one of
the fastest collegiate pools in the nation.
With permanent seating for 1,800 spectators and a spacious deck
area to comfortably accommodate up to 2,000 additional individuals
during meets, the complex is capable of hosting the Southeastern
Conference and NCAA Championships, as well as national and
The center also consists of a weight room, training room, and the
University of Tennessee Swimming and Diving Hall of Fame. Other
aquatic programming in the multi-use facility includes recreation,
club sports, continuing education, athletics, therapy, private-user
group activities, large swim meets, swim lessons, competitive
swimming, SCUBA classes, and kayak rolling clinics.
NUTS & BOLTS
Aquatic space: 50,000 square feet (pool and deck) + 17,000 square feet (concourse and spectator area)
Year opened: 2008
Dream feature: Two Olympic size swimming pools: an indoor pool, including a separate diving well, and an outdoor pool.
- Dream Designer: Counsilman-Hunsaker
- Mechanical Engineer: Applied Engineering
- General Contractor: Blaine Construction Corporation
- Architect of Record: HNTB
- Electrical Engineer: Vreeland Engineers, Inc.
- Pool Contractor: Westport Pools
- Bleachers: Irwin Seating Co.
- Bulkheads: Stark
- Chemical Control Systems: Chemtrol
- Cleaner Vacuums: Spectrum / Aqua Products
- Dehumidifiers: Dectron
- Filters: Stark
- Gutters: Grate Technologies
- Handicapped Equipment: Spectrum
- Ladders/Grab Bars: Spectrum Products
- Lane Markers: Competitor Swim Products
- Lockers: Superior Kitchens
- Pumps: Aurora
- Sanitization Systems: Pulsar; U.S. Filter ; Chemtrol (controllers)
- Starting Blocks: Adolph Kiefer and Associates
- Sparger System: Pulsar
View Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center in a larger map.