Written by identical twins Tom Caraccioli and Jerry Caraccioli, Boycott: Stolen Dreams of the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games chronicles the stories of 18 elite American athletes who trained thousands of hours for their once-in-a-lifetime chance at Olympic glory in Moscow only to become pawns in a political Cold War chess match between superpowers. The book also outlines the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan that led to the boycott, efforts by a group of athletes to overturn the boycott by legal means, and the entire 1980 team eventually receiving the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest civilian award which is bestowed by the United States Congress.
Vice President Walter F. Mondale, who spoke on behalf of the boycott prior to the USOC's April 12, 1980 vote to officially boycott the Games, wrote the Foreword for the book. Mondale apologizes to all the athletes who were denied the opportunity to compete calling them, “warriors in our country's defense of freedom.”
Wrote Mondale, “Of course, the Soviet Union system later spectacularly collapsed, disappearing forever from the world scene. I believe that our young athletes, who sacrificed so much, deserve great credit for their part in denying respectability to such an odious regime.”
Athletes featured in the book are:
- Don Paige (Athletics) Philadelphia, Pa.
- Glenn Mills (Swimming) Ridgeville, Ohio
- Gwen Gardner (Athletics) Los Angeles, Calif.
- Gene Mills (Wrestling) Pompton Lakes, N.J.
- Craig Beardsley (Swimming) New York, N.Y.
- Sue Walsh (Swimming) Hamburg, N.Y.
- Bill Hanzlik (Basketball) Beloit, Wis.,
- Amy Koopman (Gymnastics) Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Isiah Thomas (Basketball) Chicago, Ill.
- Carol Blazejowski (Basketball) Fairview, N.J.
- Luci Collins (Gymnastics) Englewood, Calif.
- David Kimes (Shooting) Monterey Park, Calif.
- Brian Gust (Wrestling) Lakeville, Minn.
- Lisa Buese (Swimming) Louisville, Ky.
- Linda Cornelius Waltman (Athletics) Ft. Worth, Texas
- Thomas Schuler (Cycling) Birmingham, Mich.
- Ron Galimore (Gymnastics) Ames, Iowa
- Debbie Landreth (Volleyball) El Segundo, Calif.
Boycott: Stolen Dreams of the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games is the second book by Tom Caraccioli and Jerry Caraccioli. They are the co-authors of Striking Silver: The Untold Story of America's Forgotten Hockey Team, published in 2006. Tom Caraccioli is the president of Lions Roar, a communications and public relations firm, and a former executive for NBC and USA networks. Jerry Caraccioli is a television network executive in the CBS Sports division.