A North Carolina family is mourning after an accident Labor Day weekend when a 17-year-old North Raleigh lifeguard died in an electrified swimming pool , according to The News & Observer.

Rachel Anna Rosoff, a senior at Enloe High School, was electrocuted and drowned in the Heritage Point subdivision pool in North Raleigh.

A pump motor failed and a corroded wire sent an electrical current into the swimming pool.

"When the pool’s pump motor stopped working properly, a corroded wire prevented the flow of electricity that would have tripped the circuit breaker. So the electrical current followed a path into the pool’s water, Gregory A. Vance, an inspections administrator for Wake, wrote in a Sept. 9 report," The News & Observer reports.

Although records show the pool passed all of its county inspections in the last two years, electrical equipment is not part of the regular inspections, according to the news outlet.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission cites 14 deaths related to electrocutions in pools from 2003 to 2014. However, this is the second this year alone and the latest in a string of recent incidents. The summer kicked off with two non-fatal electrocutions, the second and third of this past spring. On Easter, 43-year-old James Tramel died after rescuing his daughter from an electrified pool.

Read more >