The parents of a New Jersey man who died of a rare brain-eating amoeba after visiting a Texas water park have filed a wrongful death lawsuit, according to court documents obtained by ABC News.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died from a brain infection on Sept. 21, less than two weeks after he was exposed to the rare but deadly Naegleria fowleri amoeba while surfing at BSR Surf Resort in Waco, Texas. People can contract the amoeba from contaminated water entering the body through the nose.

Testing conducted at the water sports facility by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found evidence of Naegleria fowleri in BSR Cable Park's natural body of water, according to the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District.

Although the amoeba wasn't detected at the venue's Surf Resort, Lazy River and Royal Flush, the water at those three man-made attractions was cloudy, contained organisms indicating the presence of feces, had low chlorine levels and, when the water warms, would create conditions favorable to Naegleria fowleri growth.

Read More