The 2020 International Pool | Spa | Patio Expo is slated to move forward with a new partner and safety protocol in place, said Informa, the company that owns the industry's only national convention.
Scheduled the week of Nov. 8 in Las Vegas, the PSP Expo will be held in conjunction with DeckExpo, an event catering to the custom builders, dealers, contractors and other construction professionals and firms involved in the making of decks, docks and railings.
The partnership, known in event parlance as a co-location, recognizes the synergy between these two industries, said Ray Giovine, group director of the PSP Expo.
“Outdoor living is an important segment that’s been on the rise for key players in the pool, spa, and patio arena,” he said. “The collaboration with DeckExpo and the energy and audience it brings will be paramount as we work together to better serve our industries.”
As always, the PSP Expo is expected to draw residential and commercial builders and installers, service professionals, spa dealers, outdoor living retailers, buying agents and other industry professionals.
“Bringing these two events together creates a broader selection of products and technologies for outdoor living,” Giovine said. “With this co-location, our attendees will have more tools to create a beautiful outdoor space for their clients’ homes, and our exhibitors will reach a new selection of outdoor living professionals.”
To operate in the context of this year's COVID-19 pandemic, Informa also has developed a safety protocol for its events, called Informa AllSecure.
"As the world’s leading events organizer, Informa developed a detailed set of enhanced measures to provide the highest levels of hygiene and safety at our events, providing everyone with reassurance and confidence they are participating in a safe and controlled environment," the organization said.
AllSecure includes standards for safety, hygiene, cleanliness, and quality in operating events, which will be implemented in addition to guidelines and mandates from government and local authorities, the organization said.
For instance, Mandalay Bay parent company MGM Resorts currently requires that guests wear masks inside public spaces.
At a minimum, organizers plan to implement the following standards:
- Enhanced cleaning: Public, high-traffic areas of Mandalay Bay will undergo enhanced, deep cleaning before, during and after the event. Continuous sanitization during the show will be focused on high-touch areas such as door handles, restrooms and food/beverage areas.
- Non-contact registration: The system will allow for registration and badge pick-up to take place without person-to-person contact.
- Limited physical contact: Show management requests that participants avoid physical contact such as handshakes and embraces, and use alternative ways to greet each other. The team also discourages exchange of printed materials, such as business cards and sales brochures, advising that attendees exchange digital alternatives instead.
- First aid: All participants will have access to a qualified Emergency Medical Technician and a separate quarantine area. Participants will be asked not to attend the event if they feel unwell.
- Adapted conference rooms and sessions: The show team is revising seating arrangements in conference and meeting rooms to enable greater space between seats. This includes avoiding the sharing of equipment, such as computers and microphones.
“We would not hold an event that we felt would risk the health or safety of our audience,” Giovine explained. “We do expect a more subdued event, but still one of high quality. We’re hearing from our exhibitors that they are having a banner year and want to carry that momentum through to 2021.”
Giovine went on to say the company has seen a largely positive response from event participants about AllSecure.
“We look forward to providing a platform that can assist in the momentum and recovery of the industry, but we are committed to transparency if plans change,” he said.
Attendee registration goes live in mid-July, with exhibitor registration to follow a few weeks after. Attendees may visit the COVID-19 Resource Center: www.poolspapatio.com/resources for the latest information about these measures.
The International Pool | Spa | Patio Expo takes place Nov. 8-13 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The conference schedule begins Sunday, Nov. 8, while the convention/expo portion takes place Wednesday to Friday, Nov. 11-13.
An informational resource center also is available online.