According to experts at the Centers for Disease Control, crypto can be spread by:
- Putting something in your mouth or accidentally swallowing something that has come in contact with the stool of a person or animal infected with crypto.
- Swallowing recreational water.
- Eating uncooked food contaminated with crypto.
- Swallowing water or beverages contaminated by stool from infected humans or animals.
- By touching your mouth with contaminated hands. Contamination occurs through a variety of activities, including touching surfaces (for example, toys, bathroom fixtures, changing tables, diaper pails) that have been tainted by stool from an infected person; changing diapers; caring for an infected person; and handling an infected cow or calf.